5/14/2012

The American Dream

Imagine.... I wake up every morning, and I go to work. I dream of nothing but going up and up in the company I work for. Its a good life. I always have money, and know exactly where I will be in 5 years. I am purchasing a house and am pregnant with my second child. Our first child, a boy, is the spitting image of his father. I have loans, credit cards, 2 cars, and a growing family. Its every American's dream. Its stable, comfortable, and something I have in common with most everyone else in the world. I get the paper, have Super Bowl Parties, walk the dog, go to the gym, go to movies, and do a lot of traveling. Very happy. Very safe.

Not like this life.
I have had many times where people act like I am crazy to want to play music for a living. It seems the impossible dream with the entertainment industry. One in throusands is able to make a living. I can work at Taco Bell if I want, but I can't just fill out an application for musicianship. Taco Bell says 'these are our operating hours. Be here #-# pm.' Music says 'Live me every second you can stand it or die.'
I had a guy say 'Oh a musician huh?!....I always wanted to carve wooden birds' (seriously) I wanted to ask him 'did you have a passion for it?' and then I knew that no....he didn't. If he did, he would be doing it.
I send my respect to my fellow struggling musician or anything else you do that is a struggle in less than average ways. Its a hard road with speed bumps and if you're not careful and focused, you will high center on your laziness, get down on yourself, and maybe even , sadly, give up.
Never give up.
Ok. Sometimes, we all get down and out about where we are and what we have to do next but do you really want to look back someday and say 'Man. I really should have done that when I had the chance.'  I am willing to bet that anyone who reads this is farther ahead in their goals than they even realize. I bet more people recognize your excellence than you know.
Don't let yourself down. Its a hard road ahead but anything worth it is rarely easy. Don't look back with regrets if you can ever help it.
I woke up 5 years ago and went "SHIT! Where did the time go?"  I thought I had plenty of time and I still do but in todays industry, 30 is 75 in musician years.
If I want this at my age, I have to push harder and harder every day not to give up because there are days when I wonder if I would be happy as a mother whos kids say 'ya she used to sing' and then I realize I wouldn't. I look up to people who want a different life than mine because I can't be that. I need to be more than normal, or average (not that either of those are bad). I need to say 'I did this.'  You can too. Say it everyday. Tell your friends and family you believe in you. They will to.....evn if only eventually.
Smile, amd remember you are you and no one else can make that claim. It what sets you apart and what makes you specia,l and you get the chance to creatively make you being you into a beautiful career.
Take care all :) XOXO.

P.s.  I am starting a new section of my blog. It will be interviewing fellow musicians about their beginnings and past. I think we all love hearing about other people and what they have done so I want to highlight that. If youre interested in this please email me. I dont have to know you to include you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment